How to get a National Insurance Number (NINo)?
What is National Insurance Number?
If you are coming to work and live in the United Kingdom from EU or any other destination you need to obtain National Insurance Number, this number is used by the following organisations in the United Kingdom:
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
- your employer
- the Department for Work and Pensions (which includes Jobcentre Plus and the Pension, Disability and Carers Service), if you claim state benefits, or in Northern Ireland the Department for Social Development
- your local council, if you claim Housing Benefit, or the Northern Ireland Housing Executive
- Electoral Registration Officers (to check your identity when you register to vote)
- the Student Loan Company, if you apply for a student loan
- your pension provider if you have a personal or stakeholder pension
- your Individual Savings Account (ISA) provider, if you open an ISA
- authorised financial service providers who help you buy and sell investments like shares, bonds, and derivatives
You can check if the provider is autorised.
How to apply for National Insurance Number?
You can apply here for National Insurance Number.
Or if you need to apply by phone for a National Insurance number.
National Insurance number application line
Telephone: 0345 600 0643
Textphone: 0345 600 0644
Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm
Welsh language: 0345 602 1491
Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm
From there they will give you a unique reference number and they will assign you a date and time for an interview at Jobcentre Plus, and then send you a letter detailing the details of the interview and what documents to provide. I remind you that the documents must be translated into English.
How many times can we have an interview with NINo
Usually, you appear once. If you get a denial, you can appeal and learn what the reasons are. If necessary, you need to send additional evidence. You may appear again, but it will be under the same reference number we have given us anyway. In 99% of cases, it is not necessary to have a re-interview but to complete the necessary documents with more convincing evidence.
What documents are necessary to apply for NINo
It’s nice to go with a letter, a job offer from a firm so you can convince them that you have reason to take NINo, although you can say that you are currently looking for a job. It is good to have such a letter to see that you really will start working. Then you will be more convincing that you need NINo and it is urgent. This letter they will copy, and you can use it again to open a bank account that is just as important as NINo. The bank account serves you as a proof of address and a place to pay for it. If you do not have it, you are doomed to work only on cash payments, so you do not have much evidence that you are working.